Friday, 24 May 2013

The Division Report: May 24, 2013

I've always found it interesting where English-speaking Canadians celebrate "Victoria Day" on the third Monday in May, and a week later our neighbours to the south have their unofficial start to summer with "Memorial Day." Regardless of where you are in North America, I hope are enjoying, or have enjoyed your long-weekend. Here's how my week has gone creatively...

Every Day I'm Editing: After weeks of chopping and rewriting, I've completed the latest draft of my debut novel, Scarlet Siege. What was originally a 50,350-word, 24-chapter novel has been condensed into a 44,600-word, 17-chapter novella. I realise there might be other revisions to come ("Ms. Hired Editor, where are you?"), but in lieu of that, I have sent the latest rendition to a few beta readers to see what they think of it.  It should be interesting to see what they think as they do not write in the detective/mystery genre, but one I will be experimenting with in the near future. What that is, I cannot say; that's between myself, the betas, and my pen name.

With Scarlet Siege taking a breather, I've commenced the re-edits for the second novel in the Gary Celdom series, Barbadian Backlash. At the time of this log, I have edited three original chapters, and have condensed them into two. I'm not sure what the original 51,000-word, 26-chapter novel will look like once it's completed; however, if it's anything like what I've done with "Siege", it will become another novella.

Reading is Fun-damental: Speaking of betas, I have been enlisted to test-read the work-in-progress by a dear friend of mine, C.S. Janey. She is one of the people I've asked to go through "Siege," and in kind, I agreed to go through hers. I will admit, it is different from what I'm accustomed to. However, as I mentioned before, she writes in the genre my future experiment will be done within. So far, I've read the first three chapters, and not to give anything away, it is a personal eye-opener. I hope when I switch over to my pen name persona to commence work on this future project, I will be as good as her.

As for The Best of Down Goes Brown, I have made minimal progress in reading the book. At the present, I have read 58% of the tome. It appears I'm falling into my problem where I've had too many irons in the fire because it wasn't the only thing that has suffered during the past seven days.

The Write Stuff: If there was one aspect that has fallen by the wayside this past week, it was my writing. I promised myself to have the short story I commenced work on last week completed by next Friday, but with next week filled with my usual personal commitments, the challenge will be tougher than before. I'm not sure if I will be successful in my original goal, but I am willing to give it "the ol' college try."

That's all for another week. I will return in seven days time with my final May 2013 edition of "The Division Report." If you're a resident of the U.S. of A, enjoy your long weekend, and if you're holding a BBQ, make sure to save a hot dog for me, please. Otherwise, happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment